Spot a Stroke FAST
– Face Drooping
Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile.
– Arm Weakness
Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
– Speech Difficulty
Is speech slurred, are they unable to speak, or are they hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like “the sky is blue.” Is the sentence repeated correctly?
– Time to call 9-1-1
If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately.
BEYOND F.A.S.T. — OTHER SYMPTOMS YOU SHOULD KNOW
– Sudden numbness or weakness of the leg
– Sudden confusion or trouble understanding
– Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
– Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
– Sudden severe headache with no known cause